Our Adoption & Guardianship Services
What is Adoption?
Adoption is the process of legally becoming the parent of a child, or sometimes, an adult.
What is Guardianship?
A Guardianship is different than an adoption. A guardian does not become a legal parent, but they do become the person or persons who can legally make decisions for the “ward” who can be a child or an adult.
Adoption & Guardianship Services and Fees
- Minor Guardianship – $1800
- Adult Guardianship – $1500 (+$300 Emergency Guardianship)
- Step Parent Adoption (no contest) – $1500
- Grandparent Adoption (no contest) – $1500
- Adult Child Adoptions – $500
- Non-Relative Adoptions (no contest) – $2000
What do I need to think about when I start looking at divorce or separation?
Are adoptions and guardianships in family court?
When is adoption used?
There are several situations when adoption is appropriate:
- When you get married, your new spouse may wish to adopt your child to provide benefits, name, etc. This can happen either before or after the child turns 18. It is possible to make that change when the child becomes an adult and is (maybe) out of your house.
- If a tragedy happens, a grandparent may be the best person to adopt the child.
Is an adoption temporary?
Why is a Guardianship different than an adoption?
When is a Guardianship used?
- A child with a disability turning 18 years old
- An adult with a disability who needs someone to make decisions regarding healthcare, living, expenses.
- A relative needing to take care of a child for an extended period of time.
Is it easy to become a Guardian?
Is a Guardianship permanent?
Can I adopt or become a guardian without having to tell any family members?
Do I need a lawyer to get an Adoption or Guardianship?
Why should you use My Virtual Lawyer?
My Virtual Lawyer can help in a variety of ways. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the best approach for your situation. There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to situations with children. Whether is mediation, custody agreements, paternity preparation, we are here to help you with a real, affordable legal choice.
Payment Plans Available
Let's be friends.